Thursday, June 30, 2011

30th June.

Woke this morning to a very heavy dew both inside and outside the tent. Sleeping bags wet at the bottom where they were touching the tent. Cloudless sky and looks like we should have been up and away earlier. The church bells rang for ages at 7am. No sleeping in in town but I managed it alright. I was awake during the night with a few aches and could hear music. I asked Annette if she could hear it and go a negative reply. Since I'm the deaf one I thought it must be my imagination but every time I put my head down I swear I could hear a beat. Anyway at 4 ish I got up to the toilet. (I just knew I had too much water with the wine last night). Trooped past the only other caravan between us and the toilets and light on and music playing. Grrrrrrr. Probably gone to sleep with it on. Job done and back in the tent and only then did it dawn on me that I should have pulled the plug on the power supply.

Up and showered in the new shower block and very nice. Nearly all the blocks are uni sex but it is strange where they put the mens urinals. Hardly private.

Packed up with a very wet tent and damp gear and off walking along the road up the river. Not a bad road trip today. Cool and nice to start with and plenty of shade. Odd very nice house.

Missed a side road into a village so no purchasing lunch. One of the few rest stops and doesn't she look cheeky. Been awhile since those legs have seen the sun.

Stopped at one of the many canoe launching sites to have dry biscuits and cheese with water and dry the tent and gear. Other people there having a great lunch spread with wine. We provided the entertainment whilst we quickly pitched the tent and spread the gear out to dry. Huge tables.

Strange looking bbqs.

Any way, tent dry and nearly packed up and the others all quickly packed up and all drove away. Maybe it was the smell of our socks and boots when we took them off and they wanted to be gone before we could ask for a lift. Off again and into the hot sun. After a while walking along long straight section I noticed a large shadow pass over me. Thought nothing of it until it passed over again. Looked up and bloody he'll, two large buzzards are keeping pace with us. I knew I was hot and tired and was getting a bit hap hazard with with my line of travel but I didn't think it was that bad. Annette informed to straighten up her walking and it wasn't long before they left us for greener pastures.

Lots of kids canoeing down the river and it looked a lot more cooler than walking.

Into the town where we are staying before we knew it. Found the camping ground and went to pay and put on my glasses and couldn't see properly out of my right eye. No wonder the buzzards were keeping an eye on us. Hang on, no glass and frame broken. God not again, busted glasses. Checked pocket and found lens, phew! Paid and told Annette and she had a look at the frames and not broken but tiny screw missing. Pocked checked and screw located. Screw soon secured in section of tape and later in tent so we couldn't lose it, fixed with the trusty pocket knife. Caravan park was very shady and tent up, showered and washing hanging out to dry in no time at all. Off to check out the town. What have they done to the trees? Straight out of Lord of the Rings?...

Lovely enough old place but nowhere to get a meal tonight so maybe scraps. Stopped off at a bar and had a nice glass of rosa, should have got a bottle. The lovely old lady was chopping up a goose and putting it in a pot for lunch tomorrow.

Back at the caravan park to find the small reception area all set up for evening meals. That will teach us for not asking. The gent who booked us in, saw testing the pool and helping to plumb up the new sinks was now the cook. Him and a mate tried to get me to order the E15 menu meal but I knew enough French to know it contained 'gesiers' which I believe is chooks guts, so nooooo thanks. Annette had some type of ham steak with salad and I had fish with French beans and it was the second best meal I've had since arriving in France so you just can't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment